PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2011, 21:59
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
DITYIWAHP

Would it be posible for you to use a smaller font? I've had a bit of trouble reading your post. Having said that, it appears that you did not read mine either.

And suggesting things like renting AV8s is just a nonsense (we don’t have any training on the aircraft’s systems, the UK doesn’t have any of the weapons that those systems are optimised to employ and don’t forget that we have a bunch of mothballed GR9s already lying around: so why pay a 3rd party the money to borrow extra aircraft?).

The suggestion was to get rid of a larger number of aircraft in exchange for a smaller number of aircraft. Oh, and to make politicians think.

We could certainly benefit from having fixed wing assets closer to Libya than where they are, but the boys and girls are coping and in a cash-starved military that’s no bad thing.

Not too sure what you are saying is no bad thing. Anyway, more on Libya later.

Justifying the flying of fixed wing aircraft from one or more carriers just to train a few deckhands is a false economy – that would be the most outrageously wasteful means to give fixed wing carrier experience to those few who would be in service when we (hopefully) get the F35 in 9 years’ time.

CAN you read? You do not seem to have read, and certainly not understood, the points I made above and elsewhere on this thread (and others). Firstly it is not just "deckhands" (sic) by which I assume you mean aircraft handlers, it is lots of sailors throughout the carrier, from the flight deck to the ship control centre, from the bridge to the operations room. Surely the whole point would be to give experience to those who are serving when F35 arrives? Your point seems to be that there is no point in training tommorow as today's personnel may not be serving in future - which makes no sense.

Navaleye

You said it. Only the deluded or ignorant would think that not embarking fixed wing aircraft pre CVF could represent a good thing.

ICBM

Don't take this the wrong way - but you have proved my last point. The RAF isn't making the same arguments as the RAF does not run carriers, it may fly from them, but the skills I have mentioned belong to the carrier and her company, not the embarked squadrons (of whatever shade of blue). You are looking at this in a very pilot centric way, and ignoring what the ship has to do and the skills her people need. Virtually every book you read about carrier operations (written by naval aviators of whatever nationality) talks about the contribution made by the deck crews and others throughout the ship.

Bismark

I think that your points are similar to mine.

Anyway - this morning's Western Morning News as a front page story about the participation of Ocean and Albion in hitting Libyan targets. Not only did the Apaches fly from Ocean, but also Jungly Lynx from 847 NAS and ASaCs Sea Kings. The website does not appear to be working so no link (yet), however the story quotes an Apache pilot, with Afghan experience, who says "Launching from the sea is much more difficult...". The story once again comments on the fact that the force deployed from the UK a lot sooner than planned previously.

Eleswhere, the Telegraph noted yesterday that we and being drawn deeper and deeper into Libya.

“Boots on the ground” may have been ruled out, but Britain’s military operation is undeniably moving closer to Libyan soil.

If sending four Apaches is meant to scare Gaddaffi and his ilk into submission, sending Illustrious and some reprieved Harriers later this year (possibly when Charles de Gaulle has to return to France) would not only show resolve (we are so determined we altered our defence policy) but would make Gaddaffi's ilk foul their trousers.

From Sky News:

The Attack Helicopter (AH) has served with distinction and flair in Afghanistan, earning itself the nickname Mosquito amongst the Taliban (it has a distinctive buzz, and an almighty bite). And the engineers of the Army Air Corps have modified, adapted and (dare I say it) boshed an anti-tank land warfare helicopter into one capable of launching strikes from the sea. That itself draws attention to the aircraft-carrier-sized hole in Britain's fleet. During my time on board HMS Ocean, many have pondered aloud as to what Ark Royal and her complement of Harrier jets would have achieved from a berth in the Mediterranean. [Page 1 of the MoD press office handbook - avoid any reference to the strategic defence and security review at all costs].

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 8th Jun 2011 at 23:28.