PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2011, 21:26
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
THS autotrim mechanization

Thanks for the reference, Doze. Already had same for another 'bus variant, but nice to read the real deal.

I still can't see a diagram of how the THS moves with respect to the pilot or autopilot inputs to the "system".

I don't like the term "autotrim", BTW. We tried to eliminate that term in the Viper, as all it meant was the jet would try to maintain the last TRIMMED gee command. Unlike the 'bus, we could trim the gee with the hat switch on the stick or the roller gizmo like the 'bus has. If we had trimmed for zero gee ( some guys did that for air-to-air maneuvers so all they had to do to get energy in a hurry was relaz pressure on the stick), the thing tried to get to zero gee when you let go, duhhhh? We did not have the pitch attitude correction or the bank angle correction - a stable 30 deg climb only required about 0.87 normal gee, for exampl. So our jet would continue to slowly pull up if you let go and it had been trimmed for one gee. As with our little jet, the Airbus is not an attitude command system.

So what gee does the Airbus try to reach when I let go of the stick and the THS is at 10 degrees or 2 degrees or....??? The jet is a gee command as the basic Viper is, and has different gains and rates and such, but it is not an AoA -gee system like we had. Ours gave you 9 gees at 15 degrees AoA, then the gee went down until 25 degrees AoA and it was one gee. Our manuals showed this and we demonstrated it first hop with student studly.

So what does the THS do if I have a constant back stick that moves the elevator beyond "neutral"? Another post implies that the THS does not move unless the elevator is something other than the "neutral" position. Surely someone here can show how the thing works.

Inquiring FBW pioneers wanna know!