PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Flying pay review? Or old news rehashed?
Old 6th Jun 2011, 20:30
Talk Reaction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pelikanpete

I think you've missed the point entirely, it must be the rarefied air up on your pedestal.....

You are not concerned about lawyers or doctors or dentists being paid on a different scale to reflect their professional skills, yet aren't they also in the military???? I'm afraid in the modern world you can't hope to train and retain highly qualified staff if you pay them the same as relatively unqualified staff. That is why flying pay is substantial, the issue I raised is calling it an allowance which rightly gets the tax paying public's backs up, and they want it reduced or withdrawn if said chap is on a ground tour.

Think on this as well, you get promoted= more ground tours= less money= why get promoted???? Honestly not even Gerald Ratner would pay his most able managers less than his average ones and hope to keep them. Now, if you're as wise as you'd like to think you must be able to realize that if flying pay is substantially cut, there will be an exodus of experienced aircrew (as they're the ones who pull most of the ground tours) and that will permanently break the service.

A final thought (okay a 'rise') if you have such a downer on aircrew why are you reading an aircrew forum???