PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2011, 18:09
twistedenginestarter
ENTREPPRUNEUR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry - Any evidence of Pressure Sensor Icing?

I do apologise for not reading more than a few pages of posts. But maybe a few other latecomers will also not pick up what the general feeling is at the moment

I was re-reading the BEA report and I can't see any evidence whatsoever for pitot etc icing.

The computers seemed to be experiencing wild fluctuations in speeds. When the speeds became very low, the computers marked them as unreliable. But they were consistent. Surely icing has the opposite effect - readings would be very slow moving, and inconsistent (- why would two sensors fail simultaneously) ?

So what I'm thinking is, at the time, we saw the automatic reporting messages mentioning invalid speeds and we all thought it must be icing. Now we see all this stalling and people are still clinging on to the speed indicators being incorrect.

What is the current feeling? - it looks to me as though the pilots had the instruments working most of the time.

Did vicious vertical air movements trigger an upset which the intended behaviour of the computers unfortunately led to the crew getting disoriented?

Is that where we are at the moment?