PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol Testing of Flight Crew
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2011, 17:34
Level100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avaiton has changed almost beyond recognition over the last couple of decades, and I think this is going to require a whole new 'mindset' from the next generation of flight crew.

Pointless and offensive security screenings, being monitored from the moment you show up for work, drugs and alcohol testing, and the fact that converstions on the flight deck are no longer private, will require us all adopt a very different work attitude.
and

That will be the good old days before CRM when we had a hull loss every week
Thunder, Shell,
I think you both are right in a way. Of course many things in the "good ole" needed improvement and corrective action. Like ATC getting a necessity when the first liners run into each others in the 50s. The question that rises Thunder for me, at least in between the lines, is the following: does a corrective/protective action become [more] counterproductive from certain moment on?
I would think "yes" in a ever changing world.
Contineous update and adaption ("mitigation" some call it) is the required answer, and yes I would agree with Thunder that certain measures have become pointless and with Shell that CRM was the most fantastic safety breaktrough.

Cheers, Gentlemen