PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to the Isle of Man
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2011, 13:28
LeeP-PA28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR to the Isle of Man

OK - so since qualifiying I've been tootling around my usual flying area, venturing further north and south and exploring new areas. I'm getting used to flying on my own for long periods, handling myself and the aircraft in different conditions (usually all within an hour of each other!) and maintaining accurate planning and flying.

So my next "big one" will be a VFR flight to the Isle of Man.
I've got myself some new crewsaver lifejackets and an EPIRB for flying over water - I'm just starting to put pen to paper on the routing / procedures and considering the paperwork

I'll be taking a club PA28 and aiming to route over Leeds Badford (will go to the south if they don't permit my Class D transit) to Pole Hill, routing out to Blackpool then following the route of the Class F (W2D) with a LARS service from Warton/Ronaldsway due to the amount of traffic that *could* be in there.

Obvioiusly I need approval to enter the Isle of Man CTR - can I do this at reporting points (even though I am VFR?) - i.e. VANN / MORBY etc?

I've read that Andreas is OK as as bad weater / emergency landing but to look out for stones (keep to the north side). Also, the handling charges aren't compulsary at Ronaldsway and one should hold their ground in respect to that (getting a taxi to the terminal and paying the landing fees direct there). Fuel can be obtained at Shell / Area Mike about 20% cheaper again than the handling agents - anything else to consider...?

Thanks a lot

Lee