PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2011, 10:21
Capt. Manuvar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of regulation

In my 6 years of flying in Nigerian airspace, I don't feel the airspace is safe. Everything falls back to lack of regulation. Also the regulations are hastily drawn up and not very concise e.g. The current NigCARs 2009 FTLs were hastily copied of FAA part 135. They are very basic and unrealistic.
Here are a few major safety lapses I have observed in Nigerian and most of African aviation:
1. Civil Aviation regulations in Africa are very basic, and are not tailored to the local environment.

2. Civil aviation authorities lack both quality and quantity of manpower to allow them satisfactorily perform their oversight functions.

3. Most operators do not implement what they have documented, due to lack of CAA oversight

4. Operators willing flaunt regulations knowing they won't be caught, due to lack of CAA oversight

5. Levels of technical knowledge among professionals is low. Sometimes due to lack of adequate training. Sometimes due to lack of checking standards to prevent incompetent people from occupying critical positions. Sometimes due to people presenting false credentials. All these exist due to lack of CAA oversight.

6. Cultural and political issues. CRM has improved in Nigeria but cultural issues still prevent younger people from speaking up. Also the political climate in some countries makes it difficult for safety reporting systems to function properly, due to fear of reprisal. I know that Nigerians are less likely than other nationals to put pen to paper and report irregularities.

7. Lack of adequate facilities. Lack of CAA oversight is also responsible, in part for this.

That's all I can come up with for now.