PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To those of us who are not flying..how are you dealing with it?
Old 6th Jun 2011, 09:35
md_eleven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I know exactly what you are talking about. I am also working in an office to pay my bills. It is very rare that I get to see a cockpit from the inside.

In order to get my office job I had to be really careful regarding my training. Most companies turned me down calling it "overqualified". In other words, they knew I would leave the minute there would be a flying job. I guess one can't really blame them for it.
It was not until I changed my training on my VC to "studies in aviation" that companies became less worried.

It is very tough indeed and I feel that with every month I sit here behind the desk I become less employable by the airlines.

I guess the trick is not to give up and to use the money we save for some sim hours. I have just booked a JOC at OAA to get me back onto a structured course with sim hours on a large Multi Crew plane.

Just don't give up though! My brother in law finished training beginning of the 90s...worst possible time. He waited for ages and ages, but now he is a captain on the 777.

It will happen...one day