PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To those of us who are not flying..how are you dealing with it?
Old 6th Jun 2011, 08:47
flyingguy1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those of us who are not flying..how are you dealing with it?

Hi all,

Given that I'd suspect there are quite a large number of us who are not being paid to fly at the moment, I'm interested in how others are coping with it, keeping the money coming in and finding other employment?

Also, how do approach the fact you have ATPL training on your CV? When I apply for new jobs (non flying), I tend to not put too much emphasis on my training as I think it might be looked at by an employer as a reason not to hire me, as they assume I'm going to leave at the first opportunity. I usually downplay it, and explain that I was working part time (which is true) and that I'm not looking to get into flying commerically and I'm just building hours at weekends.

It's a sad state of affairs, as normally one would want to be very proud of their achievement, but unless you're looking for temp work which pays poorly, I find it's something that raises more concerns. Even now, I've noticed some Airlines actually stating in their non-flying roles, "this job is not suitable for qualified pilots", as they know we might try to use it as a way of getting a foot in the door.

I'm just trying to keep my head above water and in the skies for an hour a month if I can manage it, working in an office, but it is tough. I hope some of the many wannabees take note of this and realise that once out of an FTO it can be very very difficult.

BTW, I'm not looking for sympathy of any kind, I'm just interested to know how others like me are managing.