PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA aborted takeoff at Pisa?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2002, 21:08
Propellerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand Solo, when i was talking about the Captain over-riding the F/O I was talking about the other way round! eg) F/O decides to continue, but Captain calls stop.

The Captain always guards the thrust levers, and always makes the decision whether to stop or go, regardless of who is flying. This reduces confusion and gives the most critical and dangerous decision any pilot is ever faced with to the Captain alone. An inexperienced F/O stopping for a loud bang and swing which is actually down to a tyre burst could be disasterous.

Also, I think you'll find that many people have abandoned T/O after V1 because the event has occured below V1, and by the time the assessment has been made the a/c has accelerated well beyond V1, with both pilots distracted and neither a V1 or rotate call being made. You'd be amazed how many people have stopped over V1 for loud bangs, going through water patches etc.
I've got a whole booklet full of examples which you really ought to read if you think your SOPs make it impossible for someone to end up stopping over V1.