PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD to buy 5 x P8 from USA - maybe
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2011, 21:47
Yozzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a letter from Liam Fox in which the following is written:
Ref: MRA4
The project had suffered from a history of delays and cost overruns but it was principally the aircrafts high future support costs that contributed to the decision not to bring it into service despite its advanced state. It was also a matter of serious concern to us that the single MRA4 aircraft that had been delivered to the MoD was unsafe and could not pass its flight tests. It would have taken more money and time to put it right if it was possible at all. It goes on to mention £3.9 billion down the drain 'balanced' by a £2 billion 'saving' over 10 years as a result of the axe.

In response to my comments to parliament regarding protecting whats left of the UK fishing fleet in the next Icelantic Cod War, he tried to impress me with tales about 3x River Class patrol boats being up to the task. There were no comments whatsoever that would suggest that policy involving expenditure was going to be considered before 2015 and probably nearer to 2020. He did however mention 6 MPA crew (No specific trades mentioned) working in Canada until April 2014 to sustain MPA/ISTAR skills.

At least I wrote to the MP instead of just bleating here!
Dont shoot the messenger