PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scenic highway 1 and flight seeing in California
Old 5th Jun 2011, 21:05
Zulu Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its probably easier to rent with an instructor, this saves all the bother of being checked out and renters insurance etc.. I'd recommend the bay tour (assuming they still let you do it). Round San Francisco bay viewing all the sights. You can probably combine this with your renewal

If you do it on a weekday when the school isn't busy you can probably stop somewhere for lunch and I've found that the instructors will often only charge you for the hours flown, especially if you buy him/her lunch.

Palo Alto airport is one good place to start. There are several schools there and a pilot shop.

If you want to fly further I would visit Columbia, a nice trip from the bay area.

Driving from San Francisco to LA is the best way to do it as they drive on the right. This means you will be driving on the sea side of the road and will see all the sights and can pull over for a photo etc.

As you get south towards LA, I'd also recommend a visit to Santa Paula, especially on one of their open days when all the hangars are open, their website has details. You can also get some aerobatic rides/lesson there!!