PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Whistleblower - Sandpit warning
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2011, 15:00
Henry09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a warning you would be ill advised to ignore. I hav a fiend in the states who makes big bucks pursuing internet cases involving libel, bullying, slander etc etc. The internet laws are simple. If you make a statement that could cause a third party to have a negative opinion of the 'subject', then should the subject decide to take it further then they will almost certainly win. The problem for most of us is expense.

The first thing that occurs is a lawyer will send a letter demanding all information, IP addresses and posts etc that the site owner has. IF the site owner refuses to provide the information then the company wanting to file the class action can then take the site owners to court and hold them responsible. It doesn't really matter who the site owners are, whether it is internet brands or Danny, they will capitulate in the end (and knowing this they then tend to capitulate immediately), as why should they take the rap (and it would be mind blowingly expensive) for someone else's libelous comments. It will have cost Etihad anywhere between 10-20K to get the information and get it all tracked to source. It's the way the world is now. There is no anonymous forum out there that is safe from a determined and financially minted entity or individual. You can do it yourself if you wish. If someone on here publishes a comment about you, and you are known to many people by your real name, if the comment can be shown to affect your business or private life then a letter from a lawyer will secure the release of all the data on the offender. If the comments made by the etihad staff are true then it is unlikely a case for libel would be successful, but the problem is that in the ME, employment law is still 100 years old, and the people concerned could just find themselves out of a job overnight. It would have been nice to have been pm'd to advise you that a request for information had been made and had to be satisfied. Good luck those concerned if this is true. If it's not true everything I have just written is accurate anyway.