PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2011, 12:05
jieunni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A major difference that is forging such a dichotomy of opinion could come down to the way one was brought up. I was raised with the idea that education is very important (not saying this isn't the case for those without degrees) and so I naturally wanted to pursue higher education.

In fact, when you talk to him, he feels sorry for those with Degrees who have now missed out on the opportunity for command for sometime within his airline. This, because he feels they started at the same time as he, but elected for teriary studies on a 'promise' they would be considered first by the airlines.
As it's been stated, command at the earliest possible age isn't the number one priority for all people. After I graduate from university, I'll have a combined law degree from USyd (albeit 4.5 years later). Although I might not get into the airlines as early as those who go into GA next year, I'll have had a blast with what university has offered me. There are also other things such as a commitment to life-long learning (which the poster above has briefly mentioned) which will support my professional develoment. There will also be exchange opportunities for me to study in another countries, listen to some of the most prominent speakers in the world today (Geoffrey Robertson, Malcom Turnbull and the US Ambassador gave talks several weeks ago, and Tony Abbot, former Chief Justices, solicitor-generals and others are schedules to give talks - even my lecturer for torts next semester will be a former High Court justice) and countless other opportunities that my future colleagues will not have had the chance to experience. Some of you may even be thinking well who cares? But to myself and others, we value what university other than the academic aspects offer. Indeed, most pilots my age will be far higher up in the seniority list, but in the end, it just comes down to what each person prefers, largely underpinned by how they were brought up.

Particularly to Mr. Hat, this doesn't detract from anything that you've achieved. I envy your position as a Qantas pilot and I know that I want to be in that position one day too. But, there are many other factors in my life such as wanting to be a pilot in the RAAF and university education that I have to balance out and by adopting the approach of the 'fastest way to the airlines', I inevitably miss out on many of the things that I want to do. Unlike you, I would still stick to the decision I've made (although I do regret not going to ADFA). At the same time, I think it was a sensible decision because from the way I see it, many ppruners negatively portray what is happening at Qantas (I guess this is the argument Mr. Hat puts foward about getting in early). At least this gives me time to assess my options and not go about putting all my eggs in one basket.

Food for thought for all those who argue that the fastest possible avenue to the airlines is most important:

If getting into the airlines asap is so important, why were so many against the Qantas cadetships (I'm not including the others because I know that would just lead people to talk about the experience/downward pressure on t&c etc) Alternatively, would you then suggest one leaves high school after year ten (if the student was seventeen), complete their CPL (by which time they would be 18), then go GA? Prior to submitting an application for the airlines, a bridging course could be completed in the required HSC subjects (takes about three weeks). This would arguably be the fastest route into the airlines? Would you support this path?

Last edited by jieunni; 5th Jun 2011 at 13:25.