PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident: Delta B763 blew tyre on takeoff
Old 5th Jun 2011, 10:48
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that I never fly as a passenger with any such airline which is prepared to compromise safety on so-called 'commercial' grounds.
Guess you won't be flying on many airlines then

In my "limited" airline flying (15 years with 2 UK majors, 8 as Capt), I reckon most flights have had a level of "compromise" (e.g. MEL items including TCAS / Reversers / Brakes / Generators U/S). If the weather is anything other than CAVOK, then there is a compromise. I have operated into discretion - and whatever anybody says, that is invariably a commerical judgement v safety.

The regulator, airline and crew each have their inputs and judgements into the "Safety System". I have refused to accept aircraft that are "legal" as far as the Operator and Regulator are concerned, because I judged the circumstances / my judgement warranted it. Many will, in other circumstances, accept a flight / aircraft that is bordering on strictly "legal" under the rules, but the circumstances they judge safe. One would need to be fairly naive to consider that "commercial" considerations are not part of those judgements