PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Update
Thread: EASA Update
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2011, 10:28
tdbristol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gertrude,

I fly an N-reg so clearly have a vested interest, but would urge you to do whatever you can - particularly if you have MEP contacts - to fight the proposed FCL as hard as possible.

When you say "otherwise I haven't" [got a problem], then that is really not the case - if these proposals go through it will affect all GA very very badly in the UK and elsewhere in Europe.
As you said, the lack of an IMC rating continuing will personally affect your safety.

With no N-reg IRs continuing it will affect the safety of thousands of pilots and passengers throughout Europe [me included].

And many many N-reg pilots will simply give up: I must admit I plan to do so if this goes ahead. I did the FAA IR: it was a lot of work, but worthwhile. I only fly in quite benign IMC but I often do so, on one end of a trip or another. Without an IR ability, the vast majority of my European trips would not be feasible, or would be too uncertain [in having to ensure to remain VMC] - for me there would be no point in having a plane.
But I cannot spend 2-3 months full time, nor am I willing to spend the money, to learn about the pressurisation systems in a Boeing, the jetstream across the North Atlantic and so on to get an EASA/JAA IR. (And I don't see why the hell I should when I already have an IR, and if I just happened to live outside the EU but had exactly the same qualifications and same airplane would be considered acceptable by EASA.)
I love flying but in the end it will just be too much hassle to continue.

So my nice 5-year old, fully equipped IFR airplane will be for sale, along with thousands of others.
There will be a flood of top-end planes coming on to the market, depressing enormously the values of all GA planes for a long time to come.

Along with other N-reg pilots, I currently spend a lot on maintenance, avionics, hangarage, fuel, etc.
As just one example, there is a large maintenance company where I am based; I would guess 80% of their revenue is from N-reg, most of which will be lost when these EASA proposals go through. The result will be that many people at this company will lose their jobs.

The fact is that these EASA proposals will cause a lot of people in GA - who spend a far disproportionately high amount - to stop flying and/or spend way less.

A lot of highly skilled people who depend upon this expenditure will lose their jobs; many small companies will go out of business.

It may not cause your airfield to go out out business, but will mean that other airfields close, or shorten their hours, or no longer have hangarage [converted for other business], or can no longer afford to maintain instrument approach aids, or no longer have a fuel bowser, or don't have maintenance or avionics facilities when you need them.

So please be clear that these proposals will affect you whatever registration airplane you fly.