PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2011, 08:20
Spotl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Hat is spot on!!

Mr Hat is spot on with all his posts. My son is one of the Airline Captains Mr Hat refers to without a Degree, more than likely the same age or younger than the FO's he fly's with in the B737NG he commands.

He doesn't hold it against those with Degrees, but reckons it makes virtually no difference when applying for an airline job, except those without Degrees are normally ahead when it comes to hours and experience.

I was involved in aviation, but have since retired before Aviation Degress were ever thought of. I did not assist my son in anyway in his chosen career. He worked his way into flying by working in mundane jobs to fund his flying lessons and MECIR. After working in GA for a few years, he manages to get a turbo job, folllowed by an initial charter jet job and finally to an airline job. He is now 36. Even when he was on the 'dole' for six months the money was spent on flying lessons.

In fact, when you talk to him, he feels sorry for those with Degrees who have now missed out on the opportunity for command for sometime within his airline. This, because he feels they started at the same time as he, but elected for teriary studies on a 'promise' they would be considered first by the airlines.