PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2011, 02:09
bearfoil

A flight deck is no place to rely on the amygdala, least ways not in cruise.

It is said that it is a good bet that those of us alive today had ancestors who were good at spotting movement, not detail. Detail is for which part of the animal we wish to consume. Noticing movement keeps us out of the sabre tooth's maw.

Left Brain digital; good for ennui producing comfort, the time after the hunt, and for making spears. The ever ready amygdala wears us out, and makes us quick prey for the threat we don't see, being exhausted from hyper vigilance.

The computer has no skin in the game, save for the Hubris of those who built it, sold it, and equip there a/c with it.

Complex is for rules. Simple is for survival. We have known that for thousands of generations, yet we convince ourselves it is 'different' now, we have 'evolved'.

Of the hundreds of times I have stalled a flying a/c, not one time was it inadvertent. Once on approach, a traffic conflict got too much of my attention, and I got slow. I started a turn, and heard the horn. I am happy to say I did not have to think, consult a manual, or radio for assistance.

Nothing like the hangman's noose to focus one's attention.

This path started by Mimpe is very germane. Google University of California, The Mind Institute. Wander into the Hall of "Brain Mapping".

Just to put a little anxiety into our fbw partisans. I will wager that prior to ai flying a plane, the brain will be connected through electrodes to a/c controls, and said brain will fly that a/c in ways that rules based ai could never accomplish. Case a Guinness.

Last edited by bearfoil; 5th Jun 2011 at 02:33.