PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2011, 01:46
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mimpe gets an attaboy
I'm studying post graduate aviation medicine at present

There is a physiologic reason why pilots prefer analogue to digital readouts, and why smaller moving number images attract less attention than dials moving.

The occipital cortex ( via magnocentral pathways via lateral geniculate nuclei)is hard wired to interpret visually perceived movement as potential danger without reference to "higher centres" interpeteting the visual data.

ie if you saw an analogue altimeter unwinding the brain links to potential danger are more immediate, and the same would apply to the VSI in typical analogue form.

When its moving tapes of numbers occuppying less visiual space and requiring more intellectual input to interpret , its natural to feel less concerned, and in fact the brain is hard wired to feel less concerned.

All of this adds to increased risk at the edge of the flight envelope...
A very good reason why old fashioned instruments are useful as standby instruments. Lets hope all the old fashioned instrument makers and repair guys haven't already retired.

I may be one of those 'dinosaur pilots', but by gosh, I know truth when I see it.

Even a moving needle on a digital display doesn't get the mental recognition and attention that the real thing gets.