PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scenic highway 1 and flight seeing in California
Old 4th Jun 2011, 18:47
take_0ff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic highway 1 and flight seeing in California

Hi ppruners,

In September I will make a trip to California and drive from San Francisco to LA on the scenic highway along the coast.

I am holding an FAA PPL and therefore I would like to rent a plane somewhere on the way for a day and do some flightseeing. Does anybody know a good place to rent something like a C172 or a PA28 in a decent condition?
I need to do the flight review as well, but I guess that this can be done at the same time as the checkout and won't take to long.
Can somebody recommend a place and maybe share some (recent) experiences?

Where should I fly to and what's worthwhile to visit? How is the weather in early/mid September?

What about renters insurance? Are there any places where it is included in the rental rate? Can one buy insurance just for one day or one month rather than a whole year? I don't want to pay a couple hundred dollars for one or two flights, especially not, if I am not even sure whether I can do the flights at all (e.g. due to the weather)!
What would you do?

Does anybody know a good and large pilot store in that area to do some shopping?

Any other ideas, comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

take_0ff