PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2011, 18:42
bearfoil

Lest we forget.

ChristiaanJ said......

"...engine-eer From another engineer...
I thought the basic problem with the pitots was that the certification specs themselves are totally obsolete..."

I think that is a red Herring, and it puts one in mind of the "As yet and heretofore "unknown characteristics of FUEL in icing at extremely low temps."

BA038 was surrounded by such "informed opinion" and the TRENT was modified by addressing its "Insufficiencies in thermal performance" rather than some exhaustive research into "dangerous" fuel.

Here, the same artifact of "Tacit" acceptance of what amounts to absolute bs.

The weakness of the Thales install was legend, as was (is) shortcomings in powerplants, avionics, etc.

For my money, I remember that the USAF has operated large subsonic a/c with swept wings at FL500 and above for more than fifty years. They heated their fuel, and if pitots were killing pilots.......

bear is also a cynic. I believe in an honest regulator, and an authority that not only does not give the players the "benefit of the doubt", but carries a small chip in the Public's interest, though they may walk with a "slight limp".

All in all, after thousands of pages of comment, the pitots were known junk, and the pilots acted to burn down the "status quo" (). AF changed out the junk, and what remains is for even an average attorney to make even a weak case. Air Travel IS safe, so safe I am incensed that weak kneed and less than honest folk chip away at it.

end rant.