PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2011, 17:06
DRPAM007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you fear about flying into Africa!

Thanks guys,
Just to throw more light as to why, I seem to asking questions and seeking clarifications of what may well be obvious. I am doing some research about safety in Africa and trying to be more objective by expanding the scope of my data.
I know there are a lots good of long haul, charter or contract Pilots, and aviation professionals that don't live or work permanently in Africa but they fly there regularly or perhaps occasionally. Giving them the best possible vantage point to compare the levels of safety between Africa and other regions; from an operational perspective.
Two years ago, I know some pilots on a LHR-FAJS don't relax when they're south of latitude N30 until they get into radar contact from Gaborone. There have been improvements like RVSM implementation, CPDLC trials in Algiers, Niamey, Senegal, Chad and Madagascar. So more flight levels and better communications.

However, other issues still persist such as out-dated notams, the usual dead- space around Luanda where you're not even in HF contact, the lack of TAFs or metars for DNKN (Kano, Nigeria), VOR/DME off the air in Lagos but the controllers seem to be oblivious and are asking you for your DME distance and intend to clear you for a VOR/ILS approach 18R, lack of SID's and STARs meaning you have to manually copy clearances prone to errors, changes from semi-circular to quadrantal rules because you're crossing a country just 80nm wide, differing radio failure and interception procedures, poor airport security and infra-structure, Malaria, hot humid weather, thunderstorms, the hotels you stay in, the Power interruptions, local crime,.e.t.c.

You know all the kind of things that remind you of the value of having a life insurance, telling your family you love them before going off to work, having a will with a solicitor somewhere, e.t.c.

All of these for a continent with about 54 nations and a total population less than (one country) India's 1.2 billion people. Noting that India has one set of regulations, one regulatory agency and one civil aviation policy.

( I'm designing a short survey, but I want to include issues that are of relevance to real people who endure the conditions we're hoping will be alleviated. )

So here's the million dollar question:

As a Pilot, what are your personal safety concerns when flying into Africa?
What gives you that slight felling of unease when flying into Africa?
( one liners accepted, but if you the time and the juice, let it rip!)

Thank you all for you input.

Last edited by DRPAM007; 5th Jun 2011 at 21:44.