PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-117 secrecy.
Thread: F-117 secrecy.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2011, 15:36
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
The tinfoil hat brigade and the 'Elvis is alive' mob will always believe what they want.....

But it's quite fun when a sneaky-beaky event turns out to be bunkum.

Back in the mid-70s, the NAVFAC (or 'biscuit factory*') at RAF Brawdy was ultra sneaky-beaky as it housed a humourless bunch of USN folk who worked at the SOSUS installation - we mere Hunter students weren't supposed to know anything about it. I had to punch off my tanks into St. Bride's Bay once and remarked to one of the Yanks at lunch "Hope I didn't blow your headphones off when my tanks hit the ocean!" Cue some very frosty looks and a typical "I can neither confirm nor deny" type answer....

One day, a mate took a short cut to the simulator section through the USN SeaBees' compound and, in doing so, spotted a mysterious bell-like object partially concealed under a tarpaulin. "Ah-hah", he thought, "I'll bet they use that for checking their cables on the sea bed....". The word went round and soon others were looking at this 'secret' bit of kit.

Unfortunately the next time they saw it, it had been painted up and was taking part in the US 1776-1976 bicentennial celebrations as the Liberty Bell - it was actually made of foam plastic and wood!

*so-called because it was commanded by a Captain Jacobs.

Last edited by BEagle; 6th Jun 2011 at 16:34.