PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max Cross wind
Thread: Max Cross wind
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2011, 13:53
safetypee

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Chally604 re #17. Rather than ask if the approach and landing will be legal – can I do this, ask ‘should I be doing this’, is it sensible.
Whilst the advice above varies – limits are limits, the use of any interpretive information must be your decision. Why trust the outcome of your landing to someone else’s opinion. However … IMHO (where on occasion I have determined a demonstrated crosswind in test flights), the published value should include the gust.
There is plenty of evidence from accidents and studies (decurion #15), which indicate that pilots’ risk assessments are weak, either due to lack of information about the conditions, poor knowledge about the factors in the conditions, or the application of knowledge (choice of action).
Perhaps you should ask ‘when did I last land in the max steady crosswind, if ever – what’s my currency’, what’s different – runway width, surface texture, speed, tyres, IS THE SURFACE WET (even damp).
Don’t forget that risk is not only associated with being able to land a crosswind, its also staying on the runway during roll out. IIRC there is a report that many excursions ‘side-exit’ incidents occur at relatively low speed.
A legal view may only affect biscuits with tea at the interview, alternatively a formal investigation.
A sound judgement is always be defensible (as per checkerboard #18)– you did you best in the circumstances – the culminating aspect of airmanship.