PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How is it on BA Mixed Fleet, are you enjoying it?
Old 4th Jun 2011, 10:38
prism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Young Paul BA recruited in the 1990's to a spec that you didnt even get an interview unless you were fluent in at least one other european language so we therefore recruited directly in Spain, Eire, Italy, France, Netherlands etc. More than 50% of our Pax do not speak English as a first language as we are a global airline. Our language skills are constantly in use and the skill is invaluable. It is normal to have at least 4 languages spoken amongst the crew if not more. Once people have their concessions they then tend to move back to be with families and loved ones hence why we have so many thousands of cabin crew and pilots who fly in pre flights be it from Sydney Australia to JFK to Barcelona to Dublin.

You are making the mistake by believing that BA crew are not the last to leave the aircraft. In my 18 years as a CSD I can not remember a flight where I was not the last to leave the aircraft as this is a practice we have always done. As I said normally the CSD and the Pilots are last. That is and always has been our responsibility. Ill repeat it IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN CABIN CREW RESPONSIBILITY to ensure the aircraft is clear of pax and left handbaggage.

You wrote Young Paul :
MF crew, all being experienced with other airlines, are much more likely to understand their responsibilities throughout their duty than crew who have been pampered by absurd union restrictions. 3rd Jun 2011 10:06

This is not true only CSMs and Future Talent Crew have to have flown before and in selection we treat everyone fairly so because someone has flown before does not negate that they will be successsful. We have outstanding people coming from all walks of life and people joining us from 19 years of age to people of 58 years as main crew.

Last edited by prism; 4th Jun 2011 at 10:48.