PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Flying pay review? Or old news rehashed?
Old 4th Jun 2011, 08:56
Pelikanpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm desperately trying to avoid the temptation to troll here (and annoy the many good guys) but a couple of you are really asking to have your cages rattled. It may surprise Tourist and Talk Reaction but in the other services being on the ground does not automatically make you admin staff! I put your attitude down to cultural issues with your service because in the Army, if you are flying people around, you are generally thought of as being in a support role - not a combat role (regardless of whether the AAC are included as a combat arm or not).

Tourist you have obviously spent too much time in the mess with your mates telling each other how great you all are - the creme de la creme. Yes, training aircrew is expensive and takes a long time and not everyone has the aptitude. However, outside the cockpit your skills and abilities are less relied on. In many of the roles of the other services you are required to be far more of a jack of all trades but not less able or skilled. You have to be proficient in many technical and non-technical skill sets and generally be more versatile. If you sum it all up I think there are non-flying roles that require a greater level of over all ability. The handful of people i know who transferred units and successfully went on to rotary where far from being the highly talented people you are talking about - some were regarded as less able officers and not heading for a full career but are now in receipt of extra pay and a regular commission. Don't forget I've also been flown around by you guys (including the Merlin and Puma fleet extensively)and whilst many of you are very good at your jobs, some of you are suffering delusions of grandeur.

I hope you all keep your extra pay with no further reductions but for some of you please loose the arrogant and superior attitude that seems to go with it.