PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retracting Flaps On Touchdown
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2011, 06:18
Guru8904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was taught this and have practiced it a number of times and it works fine. Yes, the problem of accidentally raising the landing gear instead can also be looked into doing the following:
In case of electrically operated flaps, after you have lowered the flaps for landing, pull out the circuit beaker for flaps and raise the flap lever to up. Just after landing, push the C/B in and the flaps would go up without any risk of touching the L/G lever.
Call me crazy but I was demonstrated yet another procedure to facilitate an early touch down and minimize the landing distance while making a short field landing.
Just after flair, real close to the ground, raise the flaps; the moment the aircraft touches down, go for the brakes and you would achieve the minimum distance landing. I know the procedure is not written in any POH and sounds dangerous but believe me, it has always worked very well with me. I am not recommemnding it to anybody, just highlighting the various possibilities you can try if you like. Before you try somethimng like this, know your aircraft well as well as your own performance limitations.