PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Pilots, You Are Losing The Battle.
Old 4th Jun 2011, 06:04
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
TG, I know that you mean well, but your statements are based on fear and the experience of the past. To reiterate, 1989 was unprotected action that exposed pilots to being sued for damages for their actions. QF pilots are voting on taking protected action. They are protected for any civil liability. If QF stopped flying for more than 48 hours, it would be in contravention of what has already been approved by Fair Work Australia. Assuming that QF pilots vote to take PIA, the two possible outcomes would be a negotiated outcome with the company or Fair Work Australia would make a determination. Take a look at the Fair Work website About industrial action | Fair Work Australia That is not to say that QF pilots may not have to put some of their pay at risk while they take action, but they are not putting their jobs on the line by taking action, and if either side take action that causes significant financial hardship to the other side, FWA will stop the action. This is a legitimate process with an impartial umpire assuring both parties that a high-stakes situation like 1989 does not re-occur.

The real danger now, and one that is made more likely by emotive, un-informed comments, is that now that AIPA has committed to a vote for industrial action, the membership may vote no. Anything other than a strong 'yes' vote dis-empowers the AIPA negotiating team from achieving anything. A 'no' vote garantees the job security issue is off the table and will never be achieved.

The worst case for a 'yes' vote is that after protracted action the company does not agree and there is a determination by FWA that does not include job security. Members will most likely have lost a few dollars trying, but they would not have lost their jobs. Is it worth risking a few dollars pay to show that job security is worth fighting for? I would say yes, but QF pilots will have to decide that. Are their jobs at risk by doing so? I would say not. On the contrary, voting 'no' is effectively giving the company your consent to offshore or re-package your job.