PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2011, 02:57
PickyPerkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
History of trim recommendations

HazelNuts39 Post #1232 I wonder if the AoA indicator could be in the same tension field?
I don't think Wainwright's talk mentioned AoA.

My main reason for thinking that Wainwright's talk might be of interest on this thread was (and is) his reference to the use of trim in upset recovery.

--- START EXTRACTS -----
Thus, for us (manufacturer's test pilots), an aircraft that is out-of-trim, for whatever reason, human or mechanical failure, should be re-trimmed. Whereas the airline instructors were against the use of trim .............

We spent a lot of time discussing the use of elevator trim, and we never reached agreement.

All the major US airlines were adamant on their policy to recover first using “primary controls” which excluded any reference to trimming. ...........

Again, a compromise was necessary ...............

And, the use of trim is not mentioned in the simplified lists of actions to be taken. .............
--- END EXTRACTS -------

So after two years of debate, the test pilots were forced into a "compromise" where although they considered the recovery sequence shoukd be:
first, trim the a/c --> then, regain flying speed --> finally, start recovering, in that order, the airline representitives refused to allow trim to appear at all in the short list of actions to be taken.

From some comments on this thread I gather that trim is still often not a priority action in airline upset recovery training.

Perhaps someone with recent experience can comment?