PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 21:16
wallybird7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do pilots have options?

Alex

Many good questions. Re the Pilots Authority:
The PIC always has the ultimate say in whatever he does. It has been hinted that there may be subtle pressures, or "frowns" regarding Staying the Course for fuel or time concerns. There are always alternate fields available in case of necessity; engine failure, running low on fuel etc.
The pilot can always plan to deviate around storms and if necessary unload cargo or pax to take on more fuel. He can always go or refuse to go if he considers it unsafe to do so. He'll always have to explain his actions and justify them.
He may try to clear a deviation with ATC but if out of radio contact he can always just announce his actions on "Guard" channel, which planes in the vicinity are supposed to monitor.
Or he can declare "Mayday" declare an emergency and go wherever he feels safe.
But, to charge head on into massive build-ups up to 60,000 feet is sheer madness to me.
Everything I've ever seen about thunderstorms says: "Avoid them!"

There is no question in my mind that the violence of the thunderstorm caused the ice buildups, strong updrafts to an out of control situation, that caused all of the failures, and left the pilots incapable of dealing with it.