PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 18:12
Lonewolf_50

Received 452 Likes on 285 Posts
Hi, MRGTC, I got my training in the military. If I may ...
Too much to read but if all else fails turn all ADIRS off.
Considering that they were night, IFR, turning off the ADIRS turns off the attitude reference system. Not so sharp to get rid of the attitude indicator in night IFR flying in bad weather. Deliberate partial panel with 200 pax aboard is below average headwork, don't you think? Also, you might note that the back up instrument panel doesn't have a VSI. I'd leave them fancy electric flight instruments on.
Make direct law happen and fly it like a cessna.
It isn't one. Ya don't fly a Phantom like a C-130 either.
Stick forward and centered. Full power. Wings level and recover.
Otherwise 80%and 2.5 nose up.
You talking about stall recovery or stall prevention?

If stalled, nose up and power may or may not get me out of it, depends on what I was doing when I stalled, and how close to critical AoA I am. I'd suggest dropping the nose, wings level, until flying again, and then adjust power and attitude to regain level flight.

As to Power and attitude. You can go back to this crash, the discussions on this forum, since about 02 June 2009, and find "fly power and attitude" as advice being the running refrain from the Greek Chorus.
Descend and get some CLs
When flying toward a line of thunderstorms? That's what AF 447 was doing.

In the military, they taught us that you go over, around, or through the bottom third of (If you had no way out and could not find a place to land) thunderstorms. Descending into one when way up in the sky ... no, they didn't teach us, and I am pretty sure they didn't teach you that.

Cheers.