PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 15:45
bearfoil

Lonewolf50

As you point out, the g trace will be interesting. The first input (?) by the "new" Pilot Flying, was NU and roll left. Accompanied by two Stall alerts, this is an a/c at its maximum energy and densest air (for the climb). After this input, everything is bleeding off. Except altitude. We see ROC that varies, and no specific time points for each value. The duration of the climb is thirty seconds which must include an entry, max, and end of 700, with a third Stall Alert that means business.

I am picturing a climb with a very emphatic Elevator input, to initiate a g loaded Stall warning, and an ensuing rise in AoA that is remarkable. I also entertain the thought that some damage to the airframe may have occurred, or damage to actuators, something that made recovery more difficult, and may even have prevented ND. From Machaca's picture of the inside of the tail cone, and some familiarity with the mechanicals inside, the THS is a massive beast. The elevators by comparison look like tacked on tabs.

None of this conjecture will command attention unless and until further data is released.

The system by definition allowed this command, for it tracked it with THS inputs (NU). So a discussion of LAW here is important, but perhaps not relevant, for here the evidence is the salient issue, not the LAW, and what the a/c "would be doing". (Paraphrasing DJ77.....)

Seems to me, regardless of the controls 'domain', this a/c trimmed for Stall, and held it. IF PE, not too very well protected from the PF after all.

Even in Direct Law, or mechanical, this is possible?

Addendum. Since Takata says the ACARS stream can happen all at once, (but reported in sequence, and spaced out) could this radical climb have initiated the Cabin Advisory Vertical Speed? I still do not grok this ACARS system........

Last edited by bearfoil; 3rd Jun 2011 at 15:57.