PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:39
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allow an NCO to help you all out...

Membership need not be based on distance. A person who regularly travels from Edinburgh would benefit unfairly. Surely, it can be charged by use with an inverse formula to allow for those who rarely if ever visit. Pulling numbers from the air, (the board will know what it needs to sustain itself), let's say that a standard membership is £100pa. For that you get unlimited use of the club and can book rooms whenever they are available. Each time you enter the club you must "sign in" at the door, (maybe you can be given a Membership Card that can be swiped to save time, effort and staff intervention). Each subsequent year, your dues are reduced from £100 by £10 for each visit less than 8 you made to the club the previous year leaving someone who did not visit at all with a £20 bill. That would be affordable to maintain a membership and should you use it 20 times that year your bill will go back to £100 the next year. To discourage those who would let membership lapse because they are too cheap to pay the £20 the board could institute a "lapsed membership" surcharge of £100 on the first year of a returning member's dues.

As I say the numbers are pulled from the air but it makes some sense. The club would receive a minimum of £20pa from people who never use the facilities, (thus not making dues a punitive burden for those who wish to be members but can rarely avail themselves), and a varying amount each year from those who use it infrequently up to £90pa and £100pa from the regular users. Since the amount you pay each year is dependent upon the previous years use then changes in personal circumstances automatically adjust to fit.

You don't need to thank me just PM me for the address to send my cheque...