PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quick rant....
Thread: Quick rant....
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 12:07
Poose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaping hole in finances for modular

I have to agree with the general sentiment of the poster - there is a lot of negativity out there...

However, let me describe my circumstances. I was sponsored by the RAF via the RAF Flying Scholarship scheme back in the day (1998). I've self funded a degree in Mechanical Engineering via several years as an Officer in the Territorial Army. I have spent the last few years working in Design and Development/Flight Test on a large aircraft. While I was doing all of this I was hour building and doing my ATPLs...

I'm about to start the CPL...

I now find myself in the situation that I might not EVER be able to get a job due to my financial situation (I earn 33k and have virtually no 'non-flying debt, for the record. Do I sound well off?).
I do not have rich folks who could pay, or are willing to stand guarantor for me. I have paid for my training to date with small loans and my pay. I've just lent 20k unsecured for the CPL/IR. I am saddled with this debt for the next five years...

What do I do now? I am effectively "borrowed out" for the next five years. The 'entry level' turbo-prop (Think Eastern or Flybe.) jobs are asking for bonds and, or the pay is so low that I could not afford to move to the work, let alone maintain the repayments on the cost of my CPL/IR loan. Would they really give me a job on my doorstep if I outlined my financial situation? As opposed to the far flung base in the sticks that new guy usually have to start at...

Next point: Some of the jet jobs have dropped their starting salaries to either 70% or 81% contracts meaning shocking starting salaries (Jet2 & BMi Baby), whilst at the same time asking for Type Ratings to be paid.
So, in five years I could lend enough money to pay for a Type Rating... but wouldn't be able to afford to move to the work on the appalling starting salaries (20k and 28k using the aforementioned operators as an example).

Now, I don't expect a living but one can't help but be utterly deflated when wealthy nineteen year olds with nothing on their CV can trump my CV just because they're from a well off background.

Not trying to defend the miserable gits on here but maybe they've done their research, albeit they don't come across that well with their advice.

Just my situation.