PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 09:50
jieunni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what is that "back up" again? Exactly what job outside of working in aviation are you going to do? Very strange to be getting a back up to something you don't actually have and using time up in a time critical industry to do so. Sort of cart before the horse and defeating the purpose of the "back up" in the first place. If you are going to get a back up get a back up that will actually work!

I think there are 3 types of people that get an aviation degree before attaining employment in the industry.
Perhaps I didn't it make it as clear as I should have in my previous post, but what I meant was that if one was to lose their medical, a degree would provide an avenue to resume employment (albeit in another area) almost immediately.

I should probably also make it clear to you that I would never undertake an aviation degree, but I don't think people should necessarily reject an aviation degree as worthless. Some students may want to just experience university life.

Who does a degree for their career with the idea of then doing another degree in another area just incase the first career falls over? Wouldn't you just do the degree in the other area first?
If one does an aviation degree, then it would only need to be one further year of study for a master's degree. It could be a MBA or something science-related. It could even be education related.

The second degree won't be on hecs either. Upfront full fees!
I'm of the understanding that HECS covers seven years of higher education. So unless one does aviation then goes onto study graduate law or graduate medicine, or one studies combined medicine, I don't see why HECS wouldn't cover the additional study.

Do you want to be a pilot or not?
I don't think you're in any way qualified to question the motives of others. Like Roxy, I respect your position in that you've experienced the path the author is suggesting, but that isn't the only way. There are many different factors that determine one's decision and getting into an airline as soon as possible isn't everybody's number one priority. Sure, you may be financially better off by entering the airlines asap, but that doesn't detract from my previous statement.

Like I said, I wouldn't do an aviation degree, but you seem to generally be against all degrees which is the only reason I'm supporting the other side (if you want to call it that). I

Look up Confirmation bias.
Yes, I did. But perhaps you could explain to me why this doesn't apply to you as well?