PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 08:39
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what is that "back up" again? Exactly what job outside of working in aviation are you going to do? Very strange to be getting a back up to something you don't actually have and using time up in a time critical industry to do so. Sort of cart before the horse and defeating the purpose of the "back up" in the first place. If you are going to get a back up get a back up that will actually work!

I think there are 3 types of people that get an aviation degree before attaining employment in the industry.

1. People that really don't want to leave home and are hoping they might somehow jag a job in an airline or a regional in their home town with the degree card.

2. People that get sold the spiel easily also because lets face it going out into the bush with 200hrs is actually a little intimidating to say the least.

3. People that don't really understand the industry and think its comparable say to law or medicine where a degree is an obvious must.

I was in between 2 and 3.

If by accident a Captain and I get talking and it comes up that I did a degree in aviation there is often either a puzzled look or a moment of silence. I think maybe 1 in 20 say yeah I've got one to. The same number have a degree in another area and about triple have a trade roughly speaking. You work it out. We're often the same age flying a shiny jet.

Look up Confirmation bias.

Last edited by Mr. Hat; 3rd Jun 2011 at 08:54.