PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quick rant....
Thread: Quick rant....
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2011, 04:40
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Jambone is correct- it is out of order to exploit the hopes and wishes of people keen to get into aviation (although publishers do it to authors as well), especially when the fees concerned are tax deductible for the company anyway. Some airlines are not even paying pilots until not only have they paid for their type rating, but their OPC and line training as well.

Why is this happening? Because there is always somebody willing to accept it. My stepdaghter recently went through £50,000 worth of training for the insurance industry with no question of paying it back if she leaves or gets pregnant - they simply assume that her replacement will have had similar training elsewhere in the industry.

As a Chief Pilot I have never (and will never) take on pilots who offer to work for free or contribute to their training, as it represents a potential self-esteem problem. I want people with the confidence to state what they are worth and behave accordingly. That's where Captaincy starts from.

Phil

Without prejudice. All models over 18 years of age. No animals were harmed during the production of this product. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, or events, past, present or future, is purely coincidental. Some names have been changed to protect the innocent. Batteries not included. If condition persists, consult your physician. Slippery when wet. Parental guidance advised. Always read the label. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue use. Please remain seated until the web page has come to a complete stop. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. May contain nuts. May be too intense for some viewers. In case of accidental ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a poison control centre immediately. Products are not authorized for use as critical components in life support devices or systems. objects in rear-view mirror may be behind you. Driver does not carry cash. Other restrictions may apply.