PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 23:18
t54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf_50
T54
If your horizontal velocity is very low you have little lift (even if not stalled) and your downward component of velocity will increase so much that the AoA will go into the stall region.
Uh, not quite, I am not sure I understand you there. You can go slow (low horizontal velocity) and level if you are not stalled, and go merrily without falling, or stalling.

That said, once you begin to descend, the second part of your sentence begins to make sense.
I'm just looking for the cause of the two stall warnings right at the start, using the hypothesis that a stall warning is triggered not only by AoA but also when the (indicated) air speed falls into a region where a stall in level flight is imminent.

The further conjecture is that the PF acted on these (spurious) warnings according to the manual, and in doing so, perhaps in conjunction with an unfortunate updraft, got himself into a real stall.

So the invalid stall warnings helped get them into a real stall - and the lack of stall warnings (plus the resumption of warnings at times on correct pilot input) when they were in the real stall minimised the chance of them ever getting out of it.

Just a thought.