PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 21:00
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
Dozy:
I understand the advantages of autotrim, but I have reservations about the reason autotrim matches pilot input as explained here.
The only reason the autotrim moves to match pilot input is to give maximum control authority to a pilot in a significant upset without having to have his or her hands on both the sidestick and the trim-wheel.
Pilots have two hands. There are two pilots on the flight deck. Four hands. Autotrim available in an upset seem to me a very handy tool, particularly as the pilot (as I understand it) can override it via side stick commands.

Would it make sense that if one is in a Law or condition that calls for manual trim, that procedures would call for the PNF to be on the throttles as required/requested by the PF? That leaves PF with one hand on side stick and one hand on trim wheel.

I am in a CRM zone here.

That strikes me as how to avoid worrying about a two handed pilot having a three handed job, which you seem to allude to above.

Does the approach to this known possible condition vary between companies, or is there a generally agreed standard on how to deal with this in Direct law, upset or no?