PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 20:55
jcjeant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi,

jcgeant
"Sorry if I'm dumb .. but .. someone can make a technical comment (explanation)
about the text in bold .. ?

From the 27 May BEA report:
Quote: Around fifteen seconds later, the speed displayed on the ISIS increased sharply towards 185 kt;
it was then consistent with the other recorded speed. The PF continued to make nose-up inputs. The airplane’s altitude reached its maximum of about 38,000 ft, its pitch attitude and angle of attack being 16 degrees."

That is puzzling. If the wing chord angle is zero it makes sense - the plane was moving horizontally through still air. I can't see how it can ever happen if the chord angle is not zero with a horizontally moving plane (which is implied by "reached maximum altitude").
Well I asked a explanation from pilots as I was puzzled by "Level 380" ... because this other A330 case (AF445) same sector .......

An Air France Airbus A330-200, registration F-GZCK performing flight AF-445 from Rio de Janeiro Galeao,RJ (Brazil) to Paris Charles de Gaulle (France), was enroute at FL380 overhead the Atlantic on airway UN741 just before waypoint DEKON about 680nm northeast of Fortaleza,CE (Brazil) and 750nm southwest of Praia (Portugal, Cape Verde), when the crew called Mayday on the international emergency frequency indicating, they encountered severe turbulence and were descending to a lower altitude. The airplane was seen enroute at FL280 overhead France and landed safely at Paris Charles de Gaulle 6:40 hours after the emergency call.

The Mayday call was relayed by the crew of a TAM Airbus A330-200 registration PT-MVG performing flight JJ-8055 from Paris CDG to Rio de Janeiro,RJ (Brazil) at around 03:50Z (Nov 30th).
They were descending .. or they were stalling ?
Note that all recorded datas of this flight were never examined by any regulator or the BEA (AF was not able to produce those datas)