PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max Cross wind
Thread: Max Cross wind
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 16:57
welliewanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was always told "Land it during a lull in the wind!" but I don't think that really helps.

My understanding is that the wind for your landing is considered to be whatever the last windcheck was that you got. This is similar to the RVR issue. Once you've received an RVR report which is above minima you'd better hope that they don't report another one.

The other part to my answer is this. Most (all?) Pilot Operating Handbooks state a maximum demonstrated crosswind. That's the most that the manufacturer managed to demonstrate that the aircraft can land in. If, during the certification, they didn't have any windy days then they can only give the max crosswind that they managed to demonstrate. The C152 is a prime example. It's max demonstrated crosswind is 12 knots. I (along with many others) have demonstrated that it can land in more than twice that much. But it's what the manufacturer managed to demonstrate that counts for the book.

Finally you have to ask yourself what the lawyers would say if you crash. You may not be breaking the law, but you may invalidate any insurance you have.