PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC training for a microlight pilot
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 12:41
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jan

That is a really good question.

I dont know enough about micro lights and the type of micro light you have to make an informed reply.

However I do know that if you are serious about touring at some point the weather will probably prove challenging.

I also know that a micro light with the minimium of IFR equipment is no place to be and find yourself in IMC. IMC should be avoided at almost any cost.

You will have read the debate on using IMC priviliges on another thread. As is apparent I am a firm believer that if the pilot has had the training and his aircraft is up to the job there are times when instrument skills will save the day.

Doubtless those times could apply just as well to you and therefore any instrument training and any equipment that would improve the ability to fly your aircraft on instruments would seem to make sense BUT only in circumstances of absolute last resort.

Any AI will do a wonderful job of enabling the pilot to keep the aircraft the right way up with some training. Even crossing the channel while being legal VFR in "legal" VMC and a pilot can still find himself with all too few visual references; a good example of circumstances in which you would be grateful for some instrument training.

If it were me I would certainly fit an AI and spend a few hours with an instructor on instrument skills.