PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC training for a microlight pilot
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 12:27
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IMC training for a microlight pilot

Having recently acquired a 2-seater microlight (a Halley Apollo Fox) with the ambition/hope of flying it 50-100 hours per year, mostly on weekend (or longer) trips across Europe, I was slightly alarmed when reading in another thread
If you fly a lot and actually go places you will do well at some point not too come a little unstuck with the weather.
which seemed to indicate some IMC training might be useful for me. I am of course aware that, even more than a PPL+IMCR pilot, I should never deliberately plan flying close to any bad weather. But what WOULD be useful for me? Here in Belgium, there is no notion of an IMCR and even if there was, it wouldn't be available to a microlight pilot.

Certainly I think I should add an Artificial Horizon to my panel - it only has an ASI, altimeter and VSI at present, plus the engine instruments. But is the instrument much use without some training? It seems unlikely.

The way to add an AH is another point of doubt: I feel little inclined to invest solid money in outdated gyroscope technology. But the alternative would be a major panel redesign with some kind of EFIS - not a job for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

After adding the AH, I think I should find an IFR instructor to give me a couple of hours on essential IMC flying. And define a way of keeping this "bare essentials" knowledge active and available on the longer term.

Ideas? Suggestions? Experiences?