PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 11:27
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re AOA Probe balancing

Static Balance
Every AOA sensor I've seen on ground has been full stop down (neg AOA), which indicates no static balance. Don't believe I've ever seen one in flight.

I don't know a lot about AOA vanes, which I why I asked for someone really knowledgeable to speak up. You can peruse pix on airliners.net to get a good sample.

The F4 had an AOA probe without the need for balancing. During groundcheck we checked the free movement of the probe and it stayed where you put it.
AOA Probe

AOA value was displayed on the AOA gauge. The AOA also triggered an aural AOA tone in the headset, starting with a low frequency low repetitive tone at 15 units (if i remember correctly), becoming a steady medium frequency tone when optimum AOA was reached for landig (19.2 AOA) increasing to a high repetitive high frequency tone when AOA limits where exceeded. That was our stall warning and nothing else was needed.

Advantage over the betty bitch thing is IMHO, that you are aware over the trend the AOA is developing, whether it is increasing or decreasing.

I´m not saying that this would be the ideal system, just to make a point that the balancing problem should not lead to shutting off any kind of stallwarning below a predetermined speed. The technology is available since 1960!

Last edited by RetiredF4; 2nd Jun 2011 at 11:45.