PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 01:12
aerobat77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food for thought. Is there any connection with the FL increasing 7000f/m, then FL-10000 f/m, and Tim Vasquez's revised Met analysis?

i personally do not think there is a direct connection. for me it seems that the initial massive climb at this altitude resulted from pilot action pulling back the stick and using aircraft energy ( FL 350 and M 0.8 should result roughly in 270-280 KIAS) for this climb until the plane ran out of airspeed and stalled. the -10000 f/m are simply a more or less ballistic fall down with stalled wings.

two more things which here are discussed

1) a deep stall ( where the tail is in the shadow of the stalled wings and you have no elevator effect) should affect t-tail planes and the a 330 is another design. further it seems from the interim report that the pilot held the stick back most the time until impact so serious attempts for a recovery were not made.

2)the pitch up moment from applying TOGA. well, at FL350 the turbines are far away from developing the same thrust like at sealevel and so i doubt that pulling the levers forward from the CL notch gave here an significant additional pitch moment , especially that before this the engines were not idling but in cruise power.

best regards !