PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 00:35
Yankee Whisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AF 447.No connection in reality , but.............!!

I recently thought to try FSX simulator software (AB320) to see what would happen if I selected fully nose up trim and nose up elevator at cruise and reduced power to idle when reaching the top of climb. IAS starting was 250 kn. Autopilot OFF.

The AB320 climbed from 19000 @ 250 kn IAS to close to 37000 feet at around 38 degr nose up and went into a deep stall whilst starting rotating and changing bank angle. The height achieved is questionable, in my opinion even though full power was used to the top of climb..

Putting the trim fully forward (in clean configuration) produced no effect as well as nose down elevator. The aircraft remained doing scary gyrations around all axis.
Putting the gear down and flaps down produced no result with the trim at fully nose down and power at idle.

Putting the trim neutral and adding full power and nose up elevator caused the aircraft to leave the stall and dive to gain (excess) airspeed.

Again; this is (very limited) MS FSX at work and all I am trying to bring to the forefront is
whether there could have been a situation where "the book should have been thrown out the widow"? I seem to recall several instances where pilots did this and got out of desparate situations !

Although it is theorizing, what are your professional thoughts on this?