PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 23:47
BluJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi takata,

sorry for the late reply
As it seems that we are in agreement about where was seated the relief pilot, I would like to understand what makes you to believe that the RP was FO1 (4400 hrs)?
I think we agree but just to make sure: I think the RP was the pilot who was qualified to be in the L/H seat during the cruise part of the flight. We would need somebody of AF to clear this but as of to date I am thinking that a relief F/O takes the LH seat. A relief captain could take the RHS as well but this was not the case.
A pilot with 800 hrs does not have this LH seat qualification, so he was in the RHS and in this case, also PF.

Edit: see PJ2 answer to Lemurian, they both agree to the opposite:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurian
- In all certainty, the operation of this flight was performed by a senior F/O seating on the RHS with command functions and a junior F/O seating on the LHS with basic radio-com and navigation duties, along with some minor engineering duties.

Agree.
Sorry, I missed this part of Lemurian's post, but yes: I do not agree with that. The senior F/O needs to be in the LHseat. (I can hear future discussions already, where we will be told that a 3crew cockpit need to consist of at least two captains.)

@paull
I suppose some people are hoping to say, 'an inexperienced pilot made a mistake', so we can all sleep easy. Very tidy, sorry I don't buy it.
I am not hoping to say anything. I am talking about facts. Fact is: PF had 800hrs experience on type. There were two other pilots with more experience on the flight deck. Would that help to improve the overall situation? DEFINITELY
Would it help if somebody of the more experienced pilots flew the aircraft?
I DONT KNOW
I feel more comfortable with some 10k+ hrs on 320/330 today as I was feeling with 800hrs. No grading, no qualification argument, just another fact.

Regards