PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rans S6 questions
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 22:19
AnglianAV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aside from the Group A 116 wing aircraft, the majority of S6 are in the microlight category.They have a considerably greater winspan at around 34ft. They were first introduced into the UK in the 390kg MAUW with a 50hp Rotax 503 2stroke engine. That is what I have at present, a simple machine with fixed flaps but having the luxury of electric start. Mods to the higher weight are possible, but only to 430kg with a 503 engine. With the more powerful engines the higher weight limit is 450kg. Later machines are permitted to the current limit of 450kg. The 65hp 582 gives improved climb but not that much more in the cruise. Mine trundles along at 75mph in the cruise.
Later on the 4stroke era resulted in the ubiquitous Rptax 912 bringing its 80hp to the show and real touring potential. The 80hp Jabiru 2200 is also an accepted engine for the type along with the 65hp HKS 4stroke.
The S6 is still available but the US$ has been rather strong against the £ over the last few years resulting in them being more expensive to buy.
The airframe is an excellent design, durable and capable of giving thousands of hours of service. I am planning to put a 4stroke engine in mine and will venture across the water to europe in her next year.

Last edited by AnglianAV8R; 1st Jun 2011 at 22:21. Reason: Spellnig