PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - de Havilland Herons
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 21:27
zlin77

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I flew VH-KAM & VH-CLW with Kendell Airlines in the late 70's.....A very different aircraft to operate on the ground, with the fully castering nosewheel, brakes operated by a lever on the control column with differential pressure applied by rudder pedal displacement, our A/C had The IO-540 Lycoming conversion 290 H.P...a fair bit of torque effect which required from memory leading with the left out board throttle to counteract the swing then gradually feeding in power on all as the rudder became effecitve, once airborne a stable airframe, easy to fly, extremely effective rudder, I think from memory a 30Kt. crosswind limit..final landing flap was 60 degrees, very draggy...with our engines cruise was at 2,200 rpm. @ 22"...gave about 165 Ktas @ 220 litres/Hr.....Ergonomics in cockpit were non existant, bits and pieces everywhere and a very high noise level, the emergency brake handle was hidden well under the left seat, caused me a heart-stopping moment landing in Merimbula when the primary brake bags had a leak and I was groping everywhere under the seat trying to find offending handle as the runway end was looming up!!
First flight of the day was always preceded by a lenghty engine run-up to build pneumatic pressure for brakes/flaps..once the run was complete it was the F/O's unenviable job to then drain the pumps water/oil seperators, this often meant getting sprayed with the frothy emulsion that was drained.
Ours had a fairly standard avionics fit for the day ILS/VOR, ADF & DME, our only ice protection was pitot-heat, not nearly enough for the heavy icing conditions often encountered over The Southern Alps on runs from MEL-MER-MCO & WGA-CBR...a few puckering memories there!!