PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 19:13
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys.... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing:

Saturn

that logon with DAKAR had failed. (At least 21 minutes before estimated changeover from ATLANTICO to OCEANIC DAKAR
I'll leave it to others to comment on jumping ahead on a frequency change 21+ minutes before one arrives at the boundaries of the FIR.
Why are you claiming they're "jumping ahead on a frequency"? They are talking about their datalink or CPDLC / ADS, not radios. That comment in the handover means that haven't yet got CPDLC logon with Dakar ATC (possibly because it's too early for Dakar to "accept" them). As far as HF frequencies are concerned they may well have still been on SELCAL watch on the Atlantico frequencies...the fact that Atlantico couldn't raise them could just mean they were in an area of poor HF reception.

ap08

The logic, so it was said, would be that filing Paris would have left them with less than the allowed contingency fuel and that through this trick, they could safely go with the amount of fuel on board and decide closer to French shores to use the contingency fuel to go to Paris.
I think capital punishment should be re-introduced in the judicial practice. The management of the airline that tolerates (encourages?) such tricks deserves no less.
It's called a reclearance operation....been done for years in Longhaul.....I plead guilty to doing this, as I guess do many of the grey haired Longhaulers here. It's no big deal as long as you don't reclear onwards beyond your enroute alternate without the fuel to do so.

Last edited by wiggy; 1st Jun 2011 at 19:34.